transparent gif

 

Ej inloggad.

Göteborgs universitets publikationer

The use of autologous serum for the treatment of ocular surface disease at a Swedish tertiary referral center

Författare och institution:
Joanna von Hofsten (-); Maria Egardt (-); Madeleine Zetterberg (Institutionen för neurovetenskap och fysiologi, sektionen för klinisk neurovetenskap och rehabilitering)
Publicerad i:
International Medical Case Reports Journal, 9 s. 47-54
ISSN:
1179-142X
Publikationstyp:
Artikel, refereegranskad vetenskaplig
Publiceringsår:
2016
Språk:
engelska
Fulltextlänk:
Sammanfattning (abstract):
PURPOSE: The study aims to describe an intact cohort with mixed ocular surface disease (OSD) treated with autologous serum (AS) eye drops in a tertiary eye center. PATIENTS AND METHODS: All cases (n=32 eyes, 24 patients) treated with AS for OSD at the Department of Ophthalmology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Mölndal, between 2002 and 2013 were included and medical records were reviewed retrospectively. RESULTS: Mean duration of treatment with 20% AS was 28.3±56.1 (median: 12, range: 3-217) days. The most common indication for AS treatment was a persistent epithelial defect (PED), which was seen in 16 eyes of 14 patients. Mean duration of PED prior to treatment was 19.3±18.9 (median: 10, range: 5-68) days. Complete or partial epithelial healing occurred in nine eyes (56.2%). The remaining seven eyes (44%) did not respond to treatment or data were missing. The second group consisted of nine eyes of five patients with superficial punctate keratitis (SPK) secondary to dry eye syndrome. Complete or partial healing of the epithelium occurred in five eyes (56%), and the remaining four eyes (44%) were lost to follow-up. A third group included five eyes with AS as an adjuvant treatment after corneal perforation, whereas a fourth group consisted of one patient with dry eye after laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK). CONCLUSION: In this cohort, patients with PED or SPK responded well to treatment with AS. Standardized preparation protocols, defined optimal serum concentrations for various indications, and large randomized clinical trials are needed to fully comprehend the role of AS in the treatment of OSD.
Ämne (baseras på Högskoleverkets indelning av forskningsämnen):
MEDICIN OCH HÄLSOVETENSKAP ->
Klinisk medicin ->
Oftalmologi
Nyckelord:
dry eye syndrome; persistent epithelial defect; superficial punctate keratitis
Postens nummer:
235246
Posten skapad:
2016-04-26 17:10
Posten ändrad:
2016-05-31 08:36

Visa i Endnote-format

Göteborgs universitet • Tel. 031-786 0000
© Göteborgs universitet 2007